4 c. wheat flour (2 c. white wheat & 2 c. red wheat (can use store bought wheat if necessary)
1 c. white flour
¼ c. vegetable oil
1 rounded Tbsp dry yeast
½ c. honey or sugar
¼ c. vital wheat gluten
1 Tbsp. salt
2 2/3 c. warm water (1/2 c. buttermilk or yogurt can replace ½ c. water)
1) Place water, yeast, gluten and 3 c. wheat flour in bowl of mixer. Attach dough hood and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Turn off mixer, cover bowl, and let dough sponge for 10 minutes.
2) Add oil, honey, or sugar and salt. Turn on mixer and quickly add remaining wheat and white flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough forms a ball and cleans the sides of the bowl. The amount of flour may vary.
3) Kneed 7-10 minutes in mixer. During this time preheat oven to 150F.
4) When the dough is kneaded, lightly oil hand and counter. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape into loaves and place in greased bread pans.
5) Turn off the oven. Place bread in oven. Watching closely let rise until almost double in bulk. (about 30 min)
6) Leave bread in oven and turn heat to 350F. Bake 35 minutes. Remove bread from pans immediately; let cool. Butter tops if desired. Can be frozen in plastic bags until ready to use.