Friday, September 4, 2009

Sweet & Sour Chicken



I LOVE CHINESE FOOD!

Now that this has been established, I have been a bit intimidated to try and make some of my favorite foods, when I know I can go order it from Wok King or Fortune Cookie for a minimal price. However, one day I was feeling adventurous, and found a recipe for sweet and sour chicken. I thought, "I'll TRY it." All I can say, is that even if it is a bit time consuming cutting, breading & frying up the chicken pieces--THIS RECIPE IS WORTH THE EFFORT!! So, thanks Sara, for putting it in the church cookbook for me to find, try, and LOVE!


CHICKEN:
3 lbs. chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
garlic salt
flour or corn starch
1-2 eggs, beaten
vegetable oil, for frying

Sprinkle both sides with garlic salt, then dip into flour/corn starch, then into beaten egg(s), then again into flour. Deep fry until golden brown & allow to "rest" on cooling rack over cookie sheet. Then when all chicken is cooked, spread into bottom of 9 x 13 pan.

SAUCE:
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 Tbsp. ketchup
1 tsp. salt

Heat until sugar completely dissolves. Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 350 for 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Serve this wonderful sticky delicious chicken with rice and enjoy!

2 comments:

Martha said...

I make this all the time. It is so worth the effort.

MerrittBadges said...

I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only one who agrees. Maybe I'll go up and make it tonight!! :)