Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I have a TON of zucchini in my garden, and I really don't want to throw it away, however, when I am eating zucchini 2 meals a day, I REALLY needed to find a new way to use up my delicious zucchini.

I had heard of  and tasted zucchini cookies, muffin, and breads, but I came accross this wonderfully moist Chocolate Zucchini Bread. After mine, and my family's reaction to it, I am considering adding another zucchini (or two) plant(s) to my vegetable garden next year so I can make this again and again! Best of all....it is VERY freezer friendly, so you can make loads and loads now, and enjoy it around the holidays with a hot cup of hot chocolate or wassil.

3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 c. white sugar
3 eggs
1 c. vegetable oil (can also use 1/2 c. oil & 1/2 c. applesauce)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. shredded zucchini
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans VERY LIBERALLY.  (If you skimp on the greasing, your loaves will not come out in one piece.)

In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mix well. In separate bowl, combine sugar and eggs, beat until well blended. Add oil and vanilla; beat until combined. Stir in zucchini. Add flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon evenly into loaf pans.

Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans; cool completely on wire rack.

YIELD: 20 servings

**TIP**: To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom of the bread, add them with the dry ingredients, instead of at the end.

No comments: